Sunday, December 18, 2011

Advent and a political thriller

Yes, I have started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest before finishing Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coehlo.

I gave in the day I went to pick up my math book for practice and of course it was 20% off. The book people made it attractive and all of a sudden my longing to finish the trilogy kicked in and I was ready. I had waited a good amount of time, trying to discipline myself to not rush ahead! I have less than 20 pages to the end of Eleven Minutes, to the ending of my almost fourth novel by Paulo and the beginning of the third novel by Steig awaits me in the next few weeks.

So while Advent proceeds; which means the coming of something or someone significant I begin to read a political thriller and finish “An adults only fairy tale” says the Washington Post of, Eleven Minutes.

The story of, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is the antithesis of the advent story of hope, peace, joy and love. Then again when you take time to reflect on the story of The Messiah Who Punted the Bee Hive, (an alternative title to the well known narrative) it is seriously replete with a cast of characters, a cultural context and history that rivals any other.

I have a needful desire to explore the story of Advent, the coming of someone or something significant. This week I got into the shoes of Eliz and Zach, Mummy and Daddy to a son who concurrently without talking to eachother for nine months named the child, John. Interestingly enough Gabe shows up to let them know that the spirit and power of Elijah (a famous old testament prophet) will go before little Johnny to:
"....turn the hearts of fathers towards their children and the disobedient back to the wisdom of the virtuous among other things...." Gospel According to Saint Luke 1:17
I guess in a way I can understand Zach's response to Gabe, he couldn't handle the news that Eliz was indeed pregnant in her old age and well past the time of being able to have a baby without any option for in vitro. I wonder if that is why Gabe then lets him remain mute for the entire pregnancy, helping him keep the whole deal hidden? Eliz's pregnancy is not immaculate unlike Mary's. The miracle child is fully human. Her response to the news is total joy, since "the humiliation I suffered among men, has been taken away".

He [John] the boy, ends up living in the wild "....having no strong drink or wine and subsisting on locusts and honey" until its time for him to meet his cousin down by the River.